At The Castle at Edgehill you will enjoy exceptional dining and service in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Perched upon the summit of Edgehill, The Castle enjoys some of the best views across Warwickshire.
With the battlefields of the famous Battle of Edgehill descending below, it is one of the finest places to enjoy a clear summer’s day in the garden or cosy up in front of a log fire on a crisp winter evening. Toast the Sunday Roast, sample dishes from the daily changing Prix Fixe menu or simply savour a hand-pulled cask ale whilst enjoying some of the best views in the county.
The pub offers a large bar with three main dining areas including the relaxed library, the dining room and the glasshouse boasting a panoramic view across several counties. Whilst outside there is a large landscaped beer garden where these views can also be enjoyed.
The Castle offers four en-suite letting rooms, two of which; ‘Rupert’ and ‘King’s’ are situated in the main tower each offering a four-poster bed, an en-suite shower room and stunning views of the countryside below.
The smaller tower hosts two other letting bedrooms; ‘Astley’ which has a double bedroom, an en-suite shower room and an adjoining single room so if required can be used as a family room. ‘Verney’ is the fourth room which offers a double bed and an en-suite wet room style bathroom located on the ground floor level suitable for disabled access.
Situated on the summit of Edgehill, famous for its views of the battlefield of the Battle of Edgehill below, the pub can serve as dining for a special occasion with family, a romantic meal watching the sun go down or a bite to eat whilst walking the centenary way.
The Battle of Edgehill took place on the afternoon of the 23rd October 1642 between Oliver Cromwell’s Parliamentary troops led by the Earl of Essex and King Charles’ Royalists led by Prince Rupert and Lord Wilmot. The two armies of similar size; approximately 12,000 men, continued for two days with neither side gaining a decisive victory.
The tower was built 100 years later by Sanderson Miller and is said to mark the spot where King Charles raised the standard before the two sides clashed. The Tower, also known as the Radway or Round Tower was intended to replicate Guy’s Tower at nearby Warwick Castle.
The Tower first became a pub in 1822, when it was sold by a descendant of Sanderson Miller to become a free house. Then in 1922 the Inn was acquired by Hook Norton Brewery.
In 2014 The Castle at Edge hill underwent a major refurbishment. Mark and Claire – the new owners in conjunction with Hook Norton Brewery closed the pub for over 12 weeks whilst major works took place.
Every effort has been made to retain the original features such as beautiful stone fire places, paintings and the beautiful exposed stonework which can be seen throughout our pub.
All of which add character to this wonderful and breath-taking site.